- Know the emergency exits from every work space.
- Verify that everything that could move or fall during an earthquake has been secured to the wall or floor.
- Devise "buddy systems" so that everyone is accounted for in an evacuation.
- Evaluate the challenges that you might face during an evacuation.
Plan for emergencies:
- If there is a first aid kit in your areas, make sure that it is up to date.
- Keep a few bottles of water, a whistle, and flashlight (with extra batteries, or the crank kind) under your desk.
- Keep emergencies numbers for all of your staff on your cell phone, or on a list that everyone carries.
- Keep back up information about your work on flash drives or other back up devices.
- Keep a bag handy in which to toss your laptop, or other important portable items during an evacuation.
- Follow instructions for every emergency exercise and event.
- Note the nearest location of a AED, or First Aid/CPR-trained person.
- Be personally prepared for an emergency.