The Great ShakeOut Event, every october
2019 - The Return of the GREAT SHAKER!
On Thursday, October 10, 2019, experience an 8.0 M earthquake on the Quad! Get some great earthquake preparedness information and purchase a preparedness kit, too.
On Thursday, October 17, 2019,
at 10:10 AM and 7:10 PM, Drop, (and Lock your wheelchair), Cover your head and Hold On. 4-Minute campus announcement only. NO evacuation.
EARTHQUAKES can happen at any time, so be prepared!
Drop, lock, cover, hold on
GENERAL NOTES on preparing for earthquakes.
- Minor earthquakes should not prompt you to evacuate. In fact, unless there is another reason to leave the building, you are safer inside than outside after an earthquake.
- However, if you are ordered or required to evacuate, follow instructions from authorities.
- If you are unsure and you believe that evacuation is necessary for your safety, wait for the shaking to stop, then carefully leave the building and move at least 50 feet away.
- Never run while the building is shaking -- that's how people get seriously injured.
- Remind drivers that in your car during an earthquake, stay in it until help arrives or it is not safe to stay.
- Write down the major hazards in the places you frequent or pass getting to/from campus:
- Power lines, old trees (especially palm trees) and old, un-reinforced masonry.
- Overpasses and underpasses.
- Dams, water towers, electrical towers, cell towers and other large structures that could fail.
- Go to the USGS site and look at the San Andreas Fault and see how long it is!
- How to purify water to make it drinkable.